Woodbury Historical Streets A through F
Afton Rd- Afton Road was named because it connected Woodbury and Afton. Afton Road was the second town road surveyed in Woodbury.
Andrew Dr (Windom Ponds, Victoria Place)- Andrew Drive was named after Andrew Mahle. All of the streets in the Windom Ponds development were named after members of the Mahle family, as the Mahle family originally owned the land. See “Mahle Ln” for more information.
Antrim Ct, Rd (Wedgewood Park)- Antrim Court and Road were named after Ray Antrim, a Minnesota insurance agency executive. Antrim was instrumental in the development of Wedgewood Park during the early years of the project, and thus, three streets in the development (Antrim Ct, Rd and Rae Ln) were named after him.
Arthur Dr (Windom Ponds)- Arthur Drive was named after Arthur Mahle. All of the streets in the Windom Ponds development were named after members of the Mahle family, as the Mahle family originally owned the land. See “Mahle Ln” for more information.
Bailey Rd- Bailey Road was the first town road and was surveyed in 1852. The original name of the road is unknown, but it was later renamed after the Bailey family, founders of the Bailey Nursery enterprise. John Vincent Bailey established the nursery in 1905 with 80 acres of property just outside of the Woodbury border in Newport. Today, Bailey Nursery is one of the largest wholesale nurseries in the United States.
Bailey Ridge Al, Bay, Ci, Ct, Draw, Dr (Bailey Ridge)- Bailey Ridge Drive and its offshoots were named after the ridge upon which they was built overlooking Bailey Rd. See “Bailey Rd” for more information.
Benjamin Dr (Fox Glen)- Benjamin Drive was named for Benjamin Thone, son of developer and Woodbury resident Tim Thone.
Bielenberg Dr- Bielenberg Drive was named after Orville M. Bielenberg. Bielenberg served on the Town Board for seven years prior to the incorporation of Woodbury. After the incorporation in 1967, Orville Bielenberg became Woodbury’s first mayor, a position he held for fifteen years. Mayor Bielenberg was an active community volunteer and often said that he “believed in a community where neighbors helped neighbors.” The story goes that Bielenberg Drive was renamed in honor of Orville Bielenberg while he was out of the country, as he, being a humble man, wouldn’t have otherwise accepted the name change.
Century Avenue- Century Avenue used to be the old beltway, called Highway 100, around what was then the twin cities. It is not known when Century Avenue was renumbered to 120, but it is believed to have been called Century because of it’s connection to the number 100. Century Ave acts as a county line between South Washington and Ramsey Counties.
Christian Curve (Windom Ponds)- Christian Curve was named after Christian Mahle. All of the streets in the Windom Ponds development were named after members of the Mahle family, as the Mahle family originally owned the land. See “Mahle Ln” for more information.
Colby Lake Ct, Dr (Summit Pointe)- Colby Lake Court and Drive were named after Colby Lake. Colby Lake was, in turn, named after the Colby family, who were early settlers of Woodbury. John Colby was chairperson of the first Town Board in 1858. In 1859, Mr. Colby suggested that the city be named “Woodbury” after his friend, Justice Levi Woodbury of New Hampshire. Additionally, John Colby’s daughter, Anna Francis Colby, was the first teacher in Woodbury.
Currell Blvd- Currell Boulevard was named after John Currell, who was a City Council member from 1979-1982.
Double Eagle Ln (Eagle Valley)- Double Eagle Lane was named by Jim Nunn, a Woodbury City employee after the golf term by the same name. According to About.com, a double eagle is a score of three under par on any individual hole. The name “Golf View” was also proposed, but the name Double Eagle Lane was favored because it incorporated both a golf term and the “eagle” theme of the Eagle Valley development.
Esther Ln (Woodbury Heights)- Esther Lane was named after Esther Raths, the wife of Town Board member Walter Raths.